The Resilient Farm and Homestead - Book by Ben Falk
An innovative permaculture and whole systems design approach with practical information on landshaping, water security, perennial crops, soil fertility, nutrient-dense food, and more.
The Resilient Farm and Homestead is a comprehensive how-to manual that will help you select, design, develop and manage land for self-reliance and regeneration, and presents a thriving model for productive, durable homesteads and farms in cold climates and beyond.
Ben Falk is a land designer and site developer whose permaculture-research farm has drawn national attention. The site is a terraced paradise on a hillside in Vermont that would otherwise be overlooked by conventional farmers as unworthy farmland. Falk's wide array of fruit trees, rice paddies (relatively unheard of in the Northeast), ducks, nuts, and earth-inspired buildings is a hopeful image for the future of regenerative agriculture and modern homesteading.
The book covers nearly every strategy Falk and his team have been testing at the Whole Systems Research Farm over the past decade, as well as experiments from other sites Falk has designed through his off-farm consulting business.
Complete with full-color photography and detailed design drawings, The Resiliant Farm and Homestead includes information on:
- earthworks, rapid topsoil formation and remineralization, fertility management
- gravity-fed water systems, ecosystem services, especially regarding flood mitigation
- site-design process and site management, species composition
- agroforestry/silvopasture/grazing, fuelwood hedge production and processing
- human health and nutrient-dense production strategies, human labor and social-systems aspects
- tools/equipment/appropriate technology
Learn the secrets of making charcuterie from the masters of San Francisco's The Fatted Calf.$ 40.00
Detailed instructions on how to ferment almost any vegetable. Some of our favorites include fermented red onions, carrots, and dilly beans!$ 24.95