Making Ricotta, a Follow-Along Virtual Event (FAVE)
Learn to make fresh ricotta in the comfort of your own home with simple ingredients and basic kitchen tools. I use a science-based approach to talk about why we do what we do rather than just presenting a basic recipe. You'll have the best ricotta you've ever tasted within 45 minutes!
I'll send you a list of everything you'll need ahead of time as well as a link for purchasing any of the harder-to-find items. The aim is to keep it fairly simply so you don't have to stress about finding unusual ingredients.
Time: 11am pacific
To follow along in this class you'll need to have on hand:
- 3 1/2 cups whole cow's milk (any kind except the shelf-stable UHT stuff)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (avoid any with additives like guar gum, carrageenan, etc) You could technically skip this for a lighter ricotta but I don't recommend it flavor- and texture-wise.
- 3 TBSP lemon juice (store-bought in the bottle or fresh) plus 2 extra TBSP just in case. Make sure you've squeezed lemons in advance of class if using fresh.
- 1 tsp salt (any kind you like)
- Optional: Baguette or crackers for enjoying your finished ricotta; fresh tomatoes would be amazing too.
Tools & Utensils:
- Butter muslin (or cheese cloth quadrupled up)
- Thermometer (must reach up to 190°F)
- Large spoon to stir the milk. We like this one.
- 1 gallon pot
- Stove or heating element
- Colander fitted over a bowl which will hold 1 quart or more
- Measuring cups and spoons for ingredient measuring in quantities noted above
Get this Follow-Along Virtual Event for free by backing me on Patreon at the $25 level.
This is part of the FARMcurious Follow-Along Virtual Event (FAVE) Series - our response to the COVID-19 crisis. Thanks for helping to keep our lights on during this crisis.
Interested in a private cheesemaking or fermenting party via Zoom? We now offer private events for birthdays, bachelorettes, etc. We also offer team-building workshops for businesses and special interest groups (like parent's clubs, scout troops, etc), all via Zoom.
We'll send each person a very easy supply list ahead of time as well as recommendations on setting up your kitchen for a virtual cheesemaking workshop. We can even send supplies directly to each participant to make things easy. Contact Nicole directly for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please consider backing FARMcurious on Patreon
Do you love this sort of content? We just launched a Patreon campaign and our Patreon backers have the opportunity to see all of our content first. They also have first access to live-streaming workshops before we open them up to the public. At certain levels, workshops like this one are included in your membership. You can back us for as little at $5 a month so please check out our Patreon here.
A mozzarella making kit to give now and the promise of our most popular cheesemaking class in the future! The gift that keeps on giving!
The world is full of incredible cheese offerings and this cheese tasting class will bring the best of the best to your plate! From France's incredible softies to Alpine treasures, the best of the US, and some that may even surprise you, we'll take you on a whirlwind tour of seven of the most delightful cheeses in the world.