Making Fresh Chèvre & Fromage Blanc at Home, a Follow-Along Virtual Event (FAVE) - Fri, May 8
The perfect Mother's Day gift!! Learn to make easy goat cheese (fresh chèvre) and fromage blanc (from cow's milk) using store-bought (or fresh!) milk in five easy steps. I use a science-based approach to talk about why we do what we do rather than just presenting a basic recipe. You'll have quick cheese with only 8 minutes of active time, fully ready to eat in 24 hours!
Then I'll show you some of the best ways to flavor and shape it for maximum party appeal! This workshop is scheduled to allow time to make and shape the cheese just in time for Mother's Day. Drop it on mom's porch (if you're interested and able) or enjoy it yourself!
I'll send you a list of everything you'll need ahead of time as well as a link for purchasing any of the harder-to-find items. The aim is to keep it fairly simply so you don't have to stress about finding unusual items.
Date: Fri, May 8, 2020
Time: 5:30-6:30pm pacific
To follow along in this class you'll need to have on hand:
Ingredients (note: you can make the goat cheese, fromage blanc or both in class, depending upon what interests you and what milk you have access to)
- 1 quart (or more!) goat's milk (any kind EXCEPT ultra-pasteurized or UHT) and/or
- 1 quart (or more!) cow's milk (cream-top un-homogenized milk like Straus)
- Chèvre Culture or Goat Cheesemaking Kit (we usually ship same day)
- 1 tsp any salt (without additives)
- Optional: Herbs & spices you might like to add for flavoring - Herbes de Provence, chives, cracked black pepper, orange zest, pumpkin pie spice. Pick up some inspiration in my blog post here or my video here
Tools & Utensils:
- Small pot (or two if doing two cheeses) - enough to hold the milk
- Large spoon to stir the milk. We like this one.
- Thermometer must register below 100°F (included in the Goat Cheesemaking Kit)
- Butter muslin (included in the Goat Cheesemaking Kit)
- Cheese form for draining & shaping (included in the Goat Cheesemaking Kit)
- Large bowl or pot (gallon size works well)
- Small bowl which can nest upside down into larger bowl (quart size works) - your cheese form need to be able to sit on top of this to drain.
This cheese will be ready to eat in 24-36 hours, just in time to deliver to mom's porch on Mother's Day, if you're interested/able. I've assembled a kit to make sure you have most of the odds & ends like cultures and cheese forms and it's an option at checkout if you need it.
This Follow-Along Virtual Event is $25 or get it for free by backing us on Patreon at the $25 level.
This is part of the FARMcurious Follow-Along Virtual Event (FAVE) Series - our response to the COVID-19 crisis. Thanks for helping to keep our lights on during this crisis.
Interested in a private cheesemaking party via Zoom? We now offer private events for birthdays, bachelorettes, etc. We also offer team-building workshops for businesses and special interest groups (like parent's clubs, scout troops, etc), all via Zoom.
We'll send each person a very easy supply list ahead of time as well as recommendations on setting up your kitchen for a virtual cheesemaking workshop. We can even send supplies directly to each participant to make things easy. Contact Nicole directly for more information at email@example.com.
Please consider backing FARMcurious on Patreon
Do you love this sort of content? We just launched a Patreon campaign and our Patreon backers have the opportunity to see all of our content first. They also have first access to live-streaming workshops before we open them up to the public. At certain levels, workshops like this one are included in your membership. You can back us for as little at $5 a month so please check out our Patreon here.
A mozzarella making kit to give now and the promise of our most popular cheesemaking class in the future! The gift that keeps on giving!
Learn to craft some of the most decadent cheese the world has to offer. Brie & camembert seem like magical cheeses but they're actually some of the easiest to make at home with very little special equipment required. We'll show you how in this two-day class, complete with edible homework.From $ 15.00