Cheese Grotto Cheese Storage Cabinet - Mezzo
FOR THE ULTIMATE CHEESE CONNOISSEUR.
“This century-old device is the right and only way to keep and store cheese.”
- Steve Jenkins, World-Renowned Cheese Specialist
Store cheese the way it was meant to be stored - not suffocating in plastic wrap but living and breathing in a moisture-controlled environment.
Extend the Shelf-Life
With its clay brick and natural materials, the Cheese Grotto is the perfect environment for wedges and wheels of cheese to thrive, and extends their shelf-life. No more throwing away old bits of beautiful cheese.
Store Cheese Unwrapped
The controlled climate eliminates the need for wrapping your cheese; store and cut whole pieces of cheese with no extra packaging. Say goodbye to plastic wrap.
The Cheese Grotto is carefully constructed with green materials. You can save the planet while you save your cheese.
The Cheese Grotto is designed to easily fit inside your refrigerator. It can also fit comfortably on your counter top.
Made in the USA
All of the Cheese Grotto products are crafted and produced in the United States under the strictest quality guidelines.
Free shipping in the contiguous United States.
The perfect introductory model for cheese lovers with more modest cheese purchasing habits. Whether it’s a gift, or for serving before or after a dinner at home, the Grotto Mezzo is the ideal cheese storage solution.
- Smaller footprint than the Cheese Grotto Classico
- Bamboo shelf
- Made of finished baltic birch
- 1 handcrafted clay brick for humidity control
- Holds up to 2 pounds of cheese
- Bamboo and birch do not warp
- Genuine leather tab with copper mount
- Plexi-glass paneling for easy viewing
- Sliding door is easy to open and close in the refrigerator
- Breathable back panel
- Made in the USA (New York)
- Hand wash only
Use & Care
- For long term storage of cheese, it is recommended to keep the Cheese Grotto at refrigeration temperatures (34ºF to 39º F, preferably 39ºF). For 7 to 10 days, you can store cheese in the Grotto under 70ºF, like the French do.
- Hand wash bamboo shelf with extremely hot water and a splash of distilled white vinegar. Black shelf is dishwasher safe.
- Allow the Grotto shelves to air dry between uses
- For maintenance of the bamboo shelf, a monthly application of mineral oil is recommended
- 9 inches deep, 7 inches wide, 6 inches tall
- 4 pounds
- Materials designed for durability
Birchwood has been traditionally used in cheese preservation for hundreds of years. Its bark has been wrapped as a belt around soft cheeses for even ripening and added woodsy flavor, and has been made into barrels for the aging of Greek Feta. It’s also been used during the smoking of Idiazabal cheese. Most importantly, birch has been used as shelves for aging in caves. Its tight surface is slower to absorb and release moisture, making it excellent for long-term storage. The finished birch featured in this model is sustainably made, and non-toxic. The finish on the birch makes it mold and stain resistant, both in the interior and exterior.
The Grotto Mezzo is a one-shelf size that fits up to 2 pounds of cheese of varying sizes and styles. With a base of 7 inches by 9 inches and a height of 6 inches, the Grotto Mezzo is an ideal storage solution for serving and storing cheeses throughout the week. The back panel is breathable, making for a perfect climate for simple, long-term storage of wedges and wheels of cheese in the refrigerator or short term storage on the kitchen counter.
For more advanced models for the connoisseur, check out the Grotto Classico
Wood has the potential to harbor bacteria and pathogens if not cleaned properly and regularly.
Though Cheese Grotto’s founder Jessica Sennett is an expert at bringing out cheese’s best flavors, she is not an expert in food safety and she does not offer any opinion about food safety. New York Department of Health regulations requires restaurants to store cheese at a temperature below 45 degrees F, except for up to two hours during preparation for food service. Nothing in Cheese Grotto’s materials, including statements regarding the shelf life of cheese, is intended to (and the materials should not be interpreted to) conflict with food safety regulations and recommendations.
A mozzarella making kit to give now and the promise of our most popular cheesemaking class in the future! The gift that keeps on giving!
Learn to craft some of the most decadent cheese the world has to offer. Brie & camembert seem like magical cheeses but they're actually some of the easiest to make at home with very little special equipment required. We'll show you how in this two-day class, complete with edible homework.From $ 15.00