The New Cider Maker's Handbook
The New Cider Maker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for Craft Producers
By Claude Jolicoeur
All around the world, the public’s taste for fermented cider has been growing more rapidly than at any time in the past 150 years. And with the growing interest in locally grown and artisanal foods, many new cideries are springing up all over North America, often started up by passionate amateurs who want to take their cider to the next level as small-scale craft producers.
To make the very best cider—whether for yourself, your family, and friends or for market—you first need a deep understanding of the processes involved, and the art and science behind them. Fortunately, The New Cider Maker’s Handbook is here to help. Author Claude Jolicoeur is an internationally known, award-winning cider maker with an inquiring, scientific mind. His book combines the best of traditional knowledge and techniques with up-to-date, scientifically based practices to provide today’s cider makers with all the tools they need to produce high-quality ciders.
The New Cider Maker’s Handbook is divided into five parts containing:
- An accessible overview of the cider making process for beginners;
- Recommendations for selecting and growing cider-appropriate apples;
- Information on juice-extraction equipment and directions on how to build your own grater mill and cider press;
- A discussion of the most important components of apple juice and how these may influence the quality of the cider;
- An examination of the fermentation process and a description of methods used to produce either dry or naturally sweet cider, still or sparkling cider, and even ice cider.
This book will appeal to both serious amateurs and professional cider makers who want to increase their knowledge, as well as to orchardists who want to grow cider apples for local or regional producers. Novices will appreciate the overview of the cider-making process, and, as they develop skills and confidence, the more in-depth technical information will serve as an invaluable reference that will be consulted again and again. This book is sure to become the definitive modern work on cider making.
Learn the secrets of making charcuterie from the masters of San Francisco's The Fatted Calf.$ 40.00
Detailed instructions on how to ferment almost any vegetable. Some of our favorites include fermented red onions, carrots, and dilly beans!$ 24.95