Buttermilk Starter Culture
SALE! These cultures have a best by date of 9/2016. Get them now for half price!
This heirloom culture produces a rich, creamy buttermilk. Buttermilk is incredibly versatile: use it for baking, smoothies, cooking oatmeal in, drinking, or adding to cream to make cultured butter.
- Each box contains 2 packets of buttermilk starter.
- Activate 1 packet using 1 quart pasteurized milk; store 2nd packet in the freezer as a back-up.
- Reusable heirloom starter recultures from batch to batch indefinitely.
- Cultures on the countertop at 70°-77°F.
- Reusable culture: a small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch.
- Culture may be used to make raw milk buttermilk, with special care.
- Avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
A new (and yet decidedly old) approach to cheesemaking: natural, intuitive, and not dependent on freeze-dried cultures or expensive equipment.$ 34.95