January 29, 2013
We’re a very small, family-run business and since conception we’ve always functioned in a bare bones capacity here at FARMcurious. We’ve depended quite heavily on the generosity of volunteers and close friends to help us with our day-to-day tasks. However, we’ve reached a point where we’re growing a bit bigger than our britches!
While we’re not quite ready to hire paid help (someday!), we are ready to take on an official intern. We’re thrilled to enter into this new phase of growth and we hope you’ll help us spread the word to find a good fit. The description is posted below. While we would prefer someone in the Bay Area, we may make exceptions for the right candidate.
Will you help us share our job description?
FARMcurious Intern Description
Master the skills it takes to build a business from the ground up while learning about living a DIY lifestyle and meeting other interesting people. FARMcurious is seeking an intern to help with day-to-day business tasks in exchange for hands-on training. This is an unpaid part-time internship. The candidate will work remotely and report directly to the founder/owner.
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
Manage Social Media:
- Help develop monthly social media plan
- Post to online social networks such as Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook
- Seek partners to share blog posts on farmcurious.com
- Seek like-minded blogs and websites to approach for potential partnerships like giveaways and joint events
- Potential opportunity for blogging if it interests you
- Locate and research new products for the FARMcurious online store
- Contact wholesalers and manufacturers regarding purchasing new products
- Attend local gift and trade shows to seek out new products
- Test products by using them
Assist at Festivals, Fairs and Educational Venues
- Help design booth or display space and signage
- Track logistics such as load-in times, volunteers, etc
- Attend events to help “hold down the fort” and organize volunteers
- Aid in training volunteers
- Locate and research relevant festivals and contact if appropriate
- Locate and research potential partners with similar goals
- Respond to partnership requests when appropriate
- Help track FARMcurious inventory
- Re-order inventory when necessary
- Candidate must exhibit honesty, integrity and can-do attitude
- Must have excellent communication skills and enjoy working with the public
- Must have a strong command of the English language and exhibit solid written communication skills – blogging experience a plus
- Have a strong command of social media outlets such as Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter – proven history required
- Must exhibit strong computer skills including experience doing online research via Google
- Must be comfortable using: Word Press, Google Drive, Excel, Word, Constant Contact, Photoshop and PowerPoint or other editing software – Mac users preferred
- Must have access to your computer and internet service
- Must own a decent camera and know how to use the manual settings for photographing difficult settings from workshops to festivals and “still life” setups for products
- Genuine interest in urban homesteading, DIY food projects, etc preferred
- Must be available on weekends to assist at workshops
- Organizational skills a must
- Interest in retail and education will be helpful
- Creativity and design experience a plus!
Send cover letter and CV to email@example.com to apply.
FARMcurious is an organization created to educate, inspire and equip urban homesteaders with an interest in producing their own food, preserving the harvest, reducing their environmental impact and eating seasonally and sustainably.
As a growing family-run business, we are striving to build up inventory of unique products for sustainable living as we increase our number of available workshops and classes. In the next year we will triple our class offerings as well as our product inventory and need more hands and heads to accomplish those goals.
FARMcurious is a fun and inspirational place to work with a dedicated cast of characters and fun perks!